Summertime = grilled food! The savory smell of these kabobs cooking on the grill is wonderful.
The first step is to marinate the meat. I bought beef and pork that was already cut for kabobs, which saves time. The marinade consists of olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, lemon juice, spicy brown mustard, chopped garlic, brown sugar and black pepper. I put everything into a mixing bowl and whisk it vigorously.
I lightly salt the meat and put it in a plastic, gallon sized bag. Then I pour the marinade over the meat. I make sure the top is closed completely, and then squish/move the meat around to ensure the marinade covers everything. I put it in the fridge for an 1 1/2 hours, after about 30 minutes I move the meat around in the bag.
Now that the marinade is working on the meat, I start working on the vegetables. The key for the vegetables is to cut them into large size chunks. That way they will stay on the skewers. I cut the onion in half and then into quarters. I use the largest pieces of the quarters, separated into 3 layers, for the kabobs. The bell peppers can be cut into large chunks.
I use metal skewers, the best ones are twisted with a large circle end to hold. The twists keep the meat in place so when you turn the meat over, the meat doesn’t rotate as well.
I thread the marinated meat on the skewers. It goes on pretty easy but careful with your fingers! I put on a chunk of meat followed by 2-3 pieces of vegetables and repeat the pattern until the kabob is full. I can fit about 3 pieces of meat on each kabob.
I hand them over to Ivan and he places the kabobs on the grill for 30 minutes total. After 15 minutes he rotates them. Take them off the grill and let them sit for 5 minutes before eating to let the juices absorb. These kabobs are filling! I pair them with a garden salad and a glass of Veggie Orange juice. A delicious and quick meal!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce,
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 lb. beef round
- 1/2 lb. pork loin
- 1 onion
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1/2 green pepper
- Combine olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, lemon juice, spicy brown mustard, chopped garlic, brown sugar and black pepper. Whisk.
- Place beef and pork cut into large chunks in a sealable, gallon sized plastic bag, lightly salt.
- Pour marinade over meat. Move pieces of meat around so the marinade coats all of it. Let marinate for 1.5 hours.
- Cut yellow pepper, green pepper and onion into large chunks.
- Put meat and vegetables on the skewer.
- Grill the kabobs for 30 minutes, rotate after the first 15 minutes.