Fluffy, light pancakes= yum! Perfect in the morning or at night. These pancakes are flavorful and go perfect with maple syrup, butter, a fruit jam, or whatever topping you desire.
I don’t drink milk but it is helpful to have it on hand for baking. Fortunately my husband drinks milk and we almost always have it in the refrigerator. This recipe combines milk with white vinegar to create “buttermilk.” It is not actually buttermilk but it works well. The first step is to make the milk and let it set for around 10 minutes. Make sure to use a 2 cup measuring cup so you have enough room to add more ingredients.
Before I start preparing the pancake batter I like to turn the heat on for the griddle, that way it will be nice and hot for the pancakes. To make the batter put all the dry ingredients into a medium bowl and stir. When 10 minutes have passed I turn my attention to the milk and add the vanilla extract and olive oil. Whisk it together well. It’s is fun to see the oil bubbles floating around as you whisk.
Combine the milk mixture with the flour mixture. Stir just until the ingredients have combined, don’t mix for too long. It might be a little bubbly- that’s fine. Almost done, now just to make the actual pancake. It is super important that the griddle is hot, I put it on medium heat. If the pancakes don’t get fluffy, it might be because the heat is too low. I don’t use a measuring cup to pour the batter because I want different size pancakes. Remember that the pancakes will get bigger, so give leave plenty of space between the pancakes to grow. I can be impatient waiting for the pancakes to cook. You can check the edges to see if you can lift them off the pan easily. If the bottom is still wet, the pancake is not ready (resist the temptation to flip early, it just results in a destroyed pancake–trust me). Once the bottom is firm, flip and cook the other side, it will take less time. Add your toppings and enjoy!
Makes 12 small sized pancakes.
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine 2 tablespoons white vinegar and 3/4 cup milk. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Mix together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons white sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 egg, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the milk mixture. Whisk.
- Pour milk mixture into flour mixture. Stir gently until all ingredients are combined.
- Heat skillet. When hot, pour batter onto skillet to desired pancake size. Flip the pancake when the top has bubbles. Cook the other side until lightly browned.
Adapted from “Fluffy Pancakes” on allrecipes.com