These banana streusel muffins are a delicious combination of healthy and sweet. The subtle flavor of the banana enhances the sugary, streusel topping. They are great for breakfast or as a snack. Sometimes I eat them with breakfast and as a snack later in the same day. =)
This recipe is quick to make. I combine all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Then I grab another bowl, a medium sized bowl, and whisk the egg. I mash 2 bananas and dump them in with the eggs. Next go in the sugar, olive oil and vanilla extract. Stir everything together really well.
Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and stir. Don’t stir too much, just enough to make the flour “disappear”. I grease a muffin pan and start pouring the batter. When the space is about 3/4 full, I stop.
Making the streusel topping is the most time consuming part. The dry ingredients mix quickly, but then you need to cut the butter into the mixture. I use a knife and make small, slicing motions. It is definitely worth the effort, the topping tastes wonderful. Cover the muffin batter with the topping and then pop them in the oven, you just need to wait 18-20 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl mix together 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk 1 egg. Then add 2 mashed bananas, 3/4 cup white sugar, 1/3 cup olive oil, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Pour banana mixture into flour mixture. Stir.
- Spoon batter into a greased muffin pan. Fill each space about 3/4 full.
- To make the streusel topping: mix together 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter.
- Sprinkle streusel topping on top of the muffin batter.
- Cook 18-20 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.