This baked potato soup is delightful! I wanted to make a potato soup that tasted rich and full of flavor. Goal completed! The dill, sour cream and cheddar cheese give the soup a boast of flavor.
The soup is easy and quick to make. In about an hour’s time not only had I made the golden baked potato soup but I was sitting down to eat it. The first step is to boil the potatoes. Most of the remaining work can be done while the potatoes are boiling.
- 6 medium sized golden potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp of dill weed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Place in a medium sized pot with enough water to cover all. Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to medium. Cook until potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes).
- In another large cooking pot add 5 tbs of butter and 1/2 of an onion. Let butter melt and then cook on low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add 1/4 c. of flour to the butter and whisk constantly for 1 minute. Slowly add 2 cups milk and whisk another minute.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and dump the potatoes into the pot with the milk. Add 1 c. water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down the heat to medium.
- Puree potatoes to desired consistency.
- Mix the dill into the sour cream and then add to the pot. Next add 1 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Stir thoroughly for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Turn down heat to low-medium and let cook for 15-20 minutes.